The first Boys’ Club is established on Halsey Street in downtown Newark by Mrs. Charles Hedden. This organization dissolves in 1917.
The Newark Junior Chamber of Commerce founds the Newark Boys’ Club to promote the moral, mental and physical growth of its members. The Boys’ Club of Newark receives its official charter in 1938, and is housed in a rented factory loft at the corner of High Street and Eighth Avenue.
The Boys’ Club of Newark officially opens its doors at 161 Littleton Avenue.
The Boys’ Club of Newark begins operating the Brady Camp in Pottersville, New Jersey. This summer camp, renamed Life Camp in 2012, stills partners with BGCN today.
The Boys’ Clubs of Newark officially opens an additional site at 422 Broadway.
BGCN becomes one of the first Clubs in the movement to open its doors to girls. That same year, the Central Ward Clubhouse opens at 1 Avon Avenue.
The Boys’ Clubs of Newark is renamed the Boys & Girls Club of Newark.
BGCN opens its first Teen Center, located in the Central Ward Clubhouse.
BGCN establishes its first school-based site at The First Avenue School.
BGCN opens the Bike Exchange, a volunteer-based bicycle store with proceeds benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs of Newark.
BGCN named the Cynthia M. Banks Award for Caring after Ms. Banks, an integral part of the BGCN team.
As the signature legacy project of the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee, the Avon Avenue Clubhouse underwent a complete renovation, including a new gymnasium, state-of-the-art aquatic center, dance and fitness studio, instructional kitchen, and brand new games room. We also completed building the Children’s Dental Center, thanks to our trustee Dr. Micheal Gruber.
We completed the renovation of the Clubhouse, including building the Children’s Vision Center in collaboration with Eyecare 4 Kids.
BGCN unveiled the Lachman Family STEM Center powered by Samsung.